The struggles and triumphs of being a Navy wife while still being a sane mother.


Thursday, October 27, 2011

A Fall Party

There are many things that are different between Florida and Texas, and if you do not know I am a huge Texas (the state) fan!  I have worked in daycares, as a nanny, as a babysitter, and in a church nursery pretty much my whole life.  The parents were all very involved in everything and anything in TX.  But here in Florida it is just not the case.  I do not know if it is really the state, or just the area is much poorer here than what I grew up in.  But I am just shocked at the lack of participation.  I know back home parents would come to Halloween parties at daycares, full-time working parents.  Here at a Mother's Day Out, where I don't think anyone works, there is no involvement or option to have that really.  Last year Caden was in a daycare, the best in the area, sup-par for Texas.  Anyways, even their parties there would be a sign up sheet for every student in the class.  The other day I go to Caden's MDO and there is three slots for their party.  Thats right, three.  I was so confused.  And it took DAYS to fill it up.  I was even more confused.  I immediately signed up for candy (one individually wrapped candy).  There are nine students in his class, I couldn't believe that was it.  The other two options were juice boxes and cookies.  I was so excited for his party because I tend to make big deals out of anything in his class because I want him to be excited too.  One bag of candy didn't sit well with me.  So I decided to make treat bags.  I already had the bags because my mom saves everything and gave me a whole stack of old party stuff from when I was younger.  I already had the candy because we stocked up on candy. . . well let me clarify, the candy was going fast thanks to Nick and I.  So all I needed was Party City for some non-candy items, because they will get enough candy this weekend.  I went with stickers, tattoos, two different rings, and a little pop-up toy.  I spent $15 on all of this, which I feel is a nothing on a party.  So I spent all last night filling the bags with five (because I am an over achiever) pieces of candy and the toys.  I was so proud of them and so glad I did them.  I think I need to be room mom when the boys start school. . . I obviously have way too much time on my hands.  Post and Carry on with the rest of your day.    

No comments:

Post a Comment