The struggles and triumphs of being a Navy wife while still being a sane mother.


Friday, September 23, 2011

My Sweethear, My Princess

I am in for some trouble in a few years.  My three year old son is girl crazy.  As I have said before, he is very good at watching a movie, and remembering every little piece (just like his dad, and the exact opposite of his mom) and even acts out scenes all of the time.  Well in Megamind, the main character has a "sweetheart."  I actually haven't watched this movie with him, his father has.  But from Caden's version, the main character has a sweetheart, so Caden needs a sweetheart.  For a long time, I was his sweetheart.  Sometimes his Jessie doll (from Toy Story) is his sweetheart.  But now since he has been in school, he has a new sweetheart....tear.  One day, his sweetheart and him left school at the same time, I was holding his hand but the little girl reached out for his hand.  He looked at her, and then me, and went for her hand!!  I have already been replaced!!!  I wanted to cry right then, but I could see the guilt he had, so I just smiled and let him run off with her.  Well I guess she liked the term "Princess" more, so now this is his princess.  Everything is princess this and princess that.  His teacher said the two of them play so good together, and it is always just them.  Secretly I am glad, after the bullying incident, that he doesn't even try to play with the mean boys and sticks with the nice little girl.  Well it is now Princess's birthday this weekend so we went to Toys R Us to pick out a present.  I decided with guided help, he could choose what he wanted.  After many fits of too expensive presents, he decided on a princess tiara and a tea set that had all of the Disney princesses on them.  It was so cute how he knew it was for her, and really put thought into it!  If only he could teach his father his thoughtful shopping skills! : )  I cannot wait to see first hand how they interact.
On a side note, I think for one of the first times, I genuinely hurt somebody's feelings, purely unintentional.  We were eating lunch at Panera Bread and said Caden's name.  The table next to us; a girl about my age, her mom, and one year old son, all looked at me.  They were so excited because her son's name was also Caden.  After meeting about a million Caden's, I kind of blew off their bewilderment, and made a smart ass comment.  I said get ready for lots of Caden's, in his old class he was one of three (no lie!).  They looked at me hurt, so I had to get out of the hole.  I said I still love the name, but I just didn't realize how common it was, with the Caden/Aiden/Hayden variations.  She said she thought it was so unique, and that is why they loved it.  I said I was sorry, I didn't mean to hurt their feelings, but I know so many Caden's, both boys and girls; they honestly were mortified.  I left, but the more I think about it, the more I am just like really??  You didn't know that your baby's name was common??  I think Caden even made the top 10 this past year, or close to it.  Through facebook, I know so many people that have Caden's or Cade's, spelt different ways, both boys and girls.  I hate to offend anyone, but they need to be prepared.  I still love the name, Caden, and I had no idea how much it would blow up, but oh well!  Post and Carry on with the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment