The struggles and triumphs of being a Navy wife while still being a sane mother.


Saturday, September 24, 2011

2 AM Wake-Up Call

So last night after the children were fast asleep in bed, Nick and I, being the stupid night owls we are, were asleep a few hours later.  For some reason we cannot go to sleep before midnight, even though his alarm goes off at 4:30 and the kids are usually up between 6 and 7.  Anyways, last night around 2 am, I was abruptly woken up.  My boys have both slept through the night, pretty much their whole little lives.  So when I am woken up, I am not used to it.  But this was not from one of my boys, it was the worst wake up ever; the battery dying in our smoke alarm.  There is something wrong with the wiring in this house, these batteries die all of the time.  And it is always in the middle of the night!  Nick could compete for being the soundest sleeper, and hardest person to wake up.  When Ashton was first born, there were several nights I was ready to call it quits with him.  My sleep deprivation had kicked in and I hated that he could sleep through the cries and feedings.  I thought since he missed it the first go around, he would be more than willing to help.  I was sadly mistaken.  That all is another story, luckily Ashton out grew late nights quickly, he saw that his parents needed the sleep too much.  Finally I got Nick up to help me, because I was not doing this alone.  He gets rather angry in his sleep haze and started mouthing off how unnecessary this was.  I ignored him with a few choice words, because I knew that any minute the boys would wake up.  After spending close to 15 minutes listening to each alarm, we finally found the one.  And it was right outside of Caden's door!  He never ended up waking up, but Ashton started stirring, but he put himself back to sleep.  Nick was already back in bed asleep by the time I had lights off and everything back in place.  I started to feel like I was replaying a great Friends episode where Phoebe cannot get the alarm to shut off.  I finally found the only way for me to sleep was to have the alarm wrapped up in several old towels at the bottom of our laundry basket.  The lesson I learned here, Nick will always be (insert choice word of preference) in the middle of the night and smoke alarms never stop beeping no matter what!  Post and Carry on with the rest of your day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment